Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Orbweaver Interview

Answers by Randy Piro:

1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the release of the ep?

We kicked off the EP release with a small tour around Florida with our good friends Hollow Leg and Shroud Eater, to a great response. Since coming home we've been working on new material for the next LP, and a few more esoteric recording projects that are on the horizon. 


2.For those that have not heard the new recording, how would you describe the musical sound you have brought out with the new release?

 I guess the short answer to that would be a combination of abstract metal and harsh noise. I will admit that we are a hard pill to swallow musically....so I generally let other people describe us.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release explores?

The lyrics represent an ongoing story I am creating. The lyrics have been omitted from the album however. I wanted to be a little ambiguous about it for the time being. The only insights a listener will get is from the limited edition cassette available from Primitive Violence Records. I worked with Jean Saiz (Shroud Eater, Primitive Violence head honcho) to create comic style trading cards that were included in some of these packs. Those cards, the cover, and the layout all have expansive artwork which corollate directly with the lyrical themes. 

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Orbweaver?

I named the band after a spider that appears in my garden after heavy rainstorms. I was walking through mango trees lost in thought when I ran face first into a massive Golden Orb Weaver web....you might say the name hit me in the face. Spiders have always fascinated me. From an evolutionary standpoint they are almost perfect creatures. 

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

We have been fortunate to play a lot of killer shows. One that sticks out in my mind is Cinema Sounds. For this show, we were tasked with creating a soundtrack to one of my favorite movies: Tron. We locked our selves in our jam room for several weeks just watching the segment of the film we were scoring. It all culminated with us playing a show in a movie theatre with the film playing on the screen behind us. It was very surreal for me. 

Our live set flows much like our recording. As far as the performance aspect goes, we just light a few candles and jam. 


  1. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

We are slowing down our live actions for the rest of the year. We have a few shows booked, but after November we are taking a little time off to write for a few upcoming projects we have coming out next year. A west coast tour is in the works for February. 

  1. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the ep by fans of underground metal?

Very positive indeed! The overall theme i'm getting back is that we sound like drugs. I'm okay with that. 


8.The ep came out on Primitive Violence, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Primitive Violence started as a cassette only label founded by Jean Saiz from Shroud Eater. She does small runs that include very thought out packaging, killer art, and other limited goodies. It also has become a form of sorts for her to showcase her artistic talents as well. Jean's art is the proverbial rug that ties together Orbweaver's room.

9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Most of the songs on the EP were written by myself, before we had a full line up. Now that we've all been jamming together for a few years (with the exception of Scott, who recently joined us on drums) the way we write has turned into a very democratic process, and a lot of our riffs and arrangements come from purely jamming with each other. We're really just letting things flow and now with four people writing, the sound is definitely going to start falling a lot further down the rabbit hole.

  1. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to tons of music. As far as influences that made me want to make music in general: Frank Zappa, Morbid Angel, Black Sabbath, Primus and Metallica were my big favorites when I was just starting out. I grew up in a house of musicians, so I was exposed to lots of different types of music and instruments at a young age.......so once I had the basics down, there was always something new to discover from one of my parents, or uncles, etc. These days I'm really enjoying the new stuff from Glorior Belli, Portal, Shroud Eater, and Hollow Leg as far as heavy music goes. Diamanda Galas, Iannis Xenakis, Amon Tobin, and Secret Chiefs Three are always in heavy rotation.

11.How would you describe your views on occultism?

Occultism is the science of our ancestors. I believe these sciences were used to communicate and interact with the overseers of our race. 

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Well, Orbweaver really does dominate most of my life in some way or form. When I do make time for myself outside of Orbweaver I generally find myself jamming with other musicians who I want to work with. Mainly with  my improvisational black metal/noise project Death Talisman VII. This started as a solo thing, but now I have a revolving lineup that changes for each performance. I have a release coming out with Dying God Records in October. I am also working with a few friends on a grind band that will put an EP out here in the near future (really can't say too much about that yet though). When I do get a few free moments to myself I enjoy simply hanging out with my lady, reading, playing video games, etc. We also do like to spend a good amount of time at the beach, since we live in Florida and all.....

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for the interview. Rosdower. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment