Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Dream Of Poe Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
A Dream of Poe is my solo project and I’m based in Azores, Portugal. Azores are 9 islands 2 hours away by plane from the mainland. Playing Doom metal I started it back in 2005 to be able to express myself the way I choose without having the interference of other people, something that it’s impossible when you are in a band. Since 2005 I’ve released 4 works now and I’m heading for the fifth work. It start back in 2006 with the demo “Delirium Tremens”, 2008 with the live album “For a Glance of the Lost Lenore”, 2009 with the EP “Sorrow for the Lost Lenore” and finally this year with the EP “Lady of Shalott”. In 2007 I got my first opportunity to play live, it was at October Loud’s stage. For this performance I had the help of several friends. In the same festival but in 2008 I got the opportunity to do another show, this time I had more time on stage to show almost all the work I have done between 2007 and 2008. The gig was recorded by myself and after mixed and mastered it was released as “For a Glance of the Lost Lenore”.
In 2009 the EP “Sorrow for the Lost Lenore” was finally released and this year was time for the EP “Lady of Shalott” which works as a preview for my upcoming album.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
I really don’t like to go back and forth to describe my musical sound, so I simply say “It’s Doom Metal”, it can feat pieces of other subgenres such as Ambient, or Doom/Goth or even Doom/Death, but it’s Doom no matter what. But if you ask me to describe it for someone who isn’t very much into Doom Metal, I would describe it as slow, melodic, melancholic and balanced between a heavier sound and a more atmospheric kind of sound.

3. I know that the band name is related to E.A Poe, what is it that interests you about this poet, and do you have an interest in any other poets?
I found everything about E.A Poe to be interesting. His poems, the way he writes, the way he lived his life, the way he died… I really cannot mention any specific interest; it’s almost like an impossible task for me. I do like and enjoy other poets such as H.P. Lovecraft or Fernando Pessoa.

4. What are some of the best live shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
With A Dream of Poe we have only done two shows, both of them in the metal festival “October Loud” which I run with a friend of mine, the first one was in 2007 and the second one in 2008. The second one was my best one in every aspect, we were much more together as a live band, everyone was comfortable with the songs since we had more time to rehearse and they knew the songs from the previous year.
In my opinion and seeing the videos I think we have a very strong stage performance, even being doom we were able to deliver a very dynamic and strong performance.
Azores isn’t really a place where people enjoy Doom Metal, that’s why in 5 years I have only done 2 shows.

5. Do you have any plans to tour the U.S?
Touring the U.S would be really expensive so it’s like a big “NO”, unless someone shows up to pay the flight costs, vans and so on, or by having good cachet that would make the Tour possible. I really would love it but without having those costs covered it’s impossible for me. Meanwhile I’m working in a European Tour (which is far less expensive) set for the first months of 2011 which I have good news already.

6. I know on your albums you record everything solo, and use other musicians for your live shows, do you have any plans on using other musicians for your albums?
In fact all my records except Lady of Shalott EP was recorded by other musicians, I’ve only recorded one guitar and the keyboard work, that was because I knew that my performance as a guitar player at that time wasn’t the best, so to ensure a good performance I have had other musicians to record my songs. With Lady of Shalott EP and also with the upcoming album I felt comfortable to record everything by myself including drums. Speaking about the future, I really don’t think I will use other musicians to record my songs, maybe just a special guest in some parts, for solos or something like that but nothing more. The only instrument that I still think on having someone to record it is drums, but here in Azores that’s almost impossible for me, not that we don’t have good drummers, we actually have a bunch of extremely good drummers, but for doom you really need to be into it, you need to feel it.

7. I know that you are looking for a record label, what kind of label are you looking for and which one do you think that would do the most to promote your music?
That’s always a hard question to answer. I’m really looking for all kind of labels, from small independent underground labels to major labels. Off course that it’s very hard to capture the attention of a major label, but the most important thing is that it isn’t impossible! I think that all of them, from the smallest one to the biggest one would do everything they can to promote my work.

8. I noticed on some of the newer tracks that I have heard so far you use growls in the vocals, are you planning on expanding with those kind of vocals on future releases?
That was something that happened naturally. When my good friend Paulo Pacheco left A Dream of Poe I was writing the songs for my upcoming album (including Lady of Shalott), at that time when he left and listening to the songs I thought it would be great to have some growls on it but without losing the melodic and melancholic touch, I start searching for a new vocalist not only here where I live but also worldwide. I had replies from all over the world, from Columbia to Russia, but in the end it was João Melo who got the job. I can only speak about the upcoming album, and that’s for sure, it will feat more growls.



9. Out off all the recordings that you have put out so far which one are you the most satisfied with?
Lady of Shalott without any doubts! I really enjoy my previous work but Lady of Shalott has something special…



10. How would you describe the musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
When I write a song, I do it in the most natural way, I let the feelings and the expression come out, I really don’t rush it to finish a song or to write another one, If I feel that I need to pick up the guitar and let the feelings comes out, I do it, If there is nothing tell me to do this I don’t do it.
With that in mind, I can tell you that my music progress and direction are connected with the way I feel in a specific period of time.


11. What is going on with your other musical projects these days?
In Peccatum, we are currently promoting our last EP “MDLXIII”, rehearsing for gigs that may show up and also writing songs for our upcoming album. We should be heading the studio next year.



12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
There are a lot of bands that I listen and in a way or another has some influence in the way I write or arrange my songs. I’m not only speaking about Doom Metal bands or Metal in general, I mean, I listen to a large variety of music, from Doom, Goth, Heavy, 80’s pop/rock…
In the last few days I have been listening in my car 3 albums (without counting my own EP eheh), The Cure - Galore, Candlemass - Nightfall and My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire.

13. Does Paganism or Occultism play any role in your music?
I can tell you that I do not guide my music with those or other themes in mind, I just let my feelings come out. On the lyrics I really don’t like to speak about it, why?
First, and as you may know, I’m not the one who writes the lyrics, it’s my good old friend and ex-vocal Paulo Pacheco, so he has his own ideas, feelings and way to express. I really don’t ask him what plays a role on it or what is all about, I really enjoy a lot to have my own interpretation of the lyrics and the way it connects with the song. If I happen to ask him the really meaning behind the lyrics it would spoil my interpretation, for good or for worse. So with that in mind, in my opinion it would be terrible to spoil the interpretation of those who have spent some time listening my songs.



14. How would you describe the metal scene in your home country of Portugal?
We have a strong metal scene in Portugal and speaking about Doom Metal scene, it is increasing a lot. We have now a bunch of Doom Metal bands with a lot of quality, some of them are around for a long time, but it is growing, growing a lot.



15. What are some of your interests outside of music?
My main interest outside music is aviation. I’m not a professional in that area (yet! But will work to be!), my work resembles little about aviation. But I do have a lot of interests, like photography or even traveling around. I really can’t stand being in my home place too much time, I’m always searching for a way to travel and discover other places, other countries, other cultures.



16. Any final words or thoughts?
I would like to thank you the opportunity for this interview, I really hope that you (the readers) have enjoyed this interview and I hope you have enjoyed the work done by A Dream of Poe so far. Stay tuned to our myspace at www.myspace.com/dreamofpoe and to our official website at www.dreamofpoe.com. If you want to support A Dream of Poe you can do it buying the EP Lady of Shalott which only costs €4,50+Shipping Costs (Europe €1,33 - Rest of the world €1.98).


Doom or be Doomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment